Pigeon House Fort, Ringsend, Dublin 4
1st Photograph by E.Timoney, April 20102nd Photograph and information provided by A. Giacometti, June 2009
3rd Photograph by M. Coffey, April 2013
This Handball Alley is in the Pigeon House Fort, Ringsend, Dublin 4. It is in good condition, if slightly overgrown, and is very large, perhaps measuring 10m by 20m in size.The handball alley was constructed by the British when the site was in use as a military barracks between 1798 and 1897, probably, although it is possible that it was constructed later when Dublin Corporation bought the land for use as a sewerage treatment works.